Behaviour and Attendance Reviews
Jul 31, 2019
Behaviour and Attendance Reviews (B & A Review)
When a school undertakes to hold a B & A review it can be an anxious time. Schools need to get the best value from a review without alienating staff in the process.
A B & A review starts with you. We will discuss what you wish to achieve from it and design the process around your needs. This means we can be sure about what you want and need, and ensure that our work meets it.
It is a collaborative process and is NOT a 'done unto' event. As such, we encourage that a member of your team is with us at every stage of the process and that he/she/they take an active part in it. We want staff to feel empowered by the process and come out of it with a clear plan of what will happen next. In fact, we often hear 'This is a coaching session, isn't it', which we feel sums up our approach. However, we are there to 'challenge the accepted norm' if needs be but this is polite, friendly and professionally done.
A typical review looks like:
- Data and information is sent by the school to the reviewer.
- A telephone conversation with a member of the school's Senior Team (usually the Headteacher) takes place.
- Meeting with the Headteacher (and others if required) to establish the focus of the day.
- Meetings with the Behaviour and Attendance lead and other key Staff.
- A review of paperwork for three or four students.
- Learning walks with staff during lesson time, transition time, breaks and lunch.
- Meeting with leaders and teachers in the school.
- Pupil voice exercise with the target students and others.
- Parent voice exercise.
- Recap with the Headteacher (and others if required) at the end of the day.
The school will normally receive a written review within 5 working days of the visit. This review is subject to the approval of the school.
If you need any more information or have a question please don't hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0333 344 1976.
'Our day with Jon was very useful and has left us with a clear plan regarding our next steps. His work has underpinned much of our recent self-evaluation but added an expert view on how to move things forward. Advice and strategies shared to date have been very useful and Jon was supportive and thought provoking throughout his visit. We very much look forward to the opportunity to work with Jon in the future.'
Headteacher, Middle School